WHAT I ATE ON Christmas Day 2018

I know what you are all thinking. It’s 3rd of January, Christmas was over a week ago and no one cares what you ate on Christmas day anymore, Emma. All I can say is I am fully aware of all of this. I should have written this blog post before Christmas day, but honestly, I have been SO busy this festive period. I have not had time to sit down and write in a whole month. (I’m glad I’m still making excuses as to why I don’t update my blog weekly anymore.) So, even though I know no one asked for it, I’m going to give it you. Here is what I ate on Christmas day. 

Breakfast
I woke up at around 9am and headed downstairs ready to start the festivities. I remember the times I would wake up at 5am and annoy my parents by jumping on their bed, begging them to get up so I could open all of my presents. But having just turned 21, unfortunately, the novelty of waking up at the crack of dawn has miraculously worn off, (much to my parents’ relief). 

For me, Christmas day is all about the dinner. This was my second Christmas as a vegan, and for some reason a vegan Christmas dinner is so much more exciting to me than a non-vegan one. So, for breakfast, I just had some toast and butter, as I wanted to save myself for the big event. 

After breakfast, my family and I exchanged presents and it was time to crack on with the dinner preparations. I am lucky enough to have a mother who fell from heaven and would not let me near the kitchen this Christmas. This meant whilst she was slaving away preparing two separate dinners for me the vegan, and my meat-eating family, I was able to relax until it was ready. And by relax, I mean get all dressed up just to sit in my living room all day, (does anyone else do this? Why do we do this?)


Just before dinner, my mum put out some homemade leek and potato soup, (my favourite), as a bit of a starter. This was gorgeous, although looking back we definitely did not need it considering the amount of food we consumed after.

Leek and Potato Soup
Instagram: emeatsvegan
Christmas Dinner 
It was about 2.30pm and I finally heard the sweet sound of my mum’s voice informing me that dinner was served. I took my seat at the table and didn’t even know where to begin. 

For Christmas dinner this year I was diving in to the Marks and Spencer’s festive parsnip and mulled red onion roast, which I have to say was absolutely DIVINE. Normally I do not enjoy nut roasts, so I was a little nervous to be having this on the big day, but I am SO happy I did. This also serves two people, so I was able to have it again for a second Christmas dinner a few days later!

Veganmas
Instagram: emeatsvegan

My mum also did all the trimmings; carrots, broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, roast potatoes and parsnips. I also had some stuffing, courtesy of Paxo, and my mum even made me vegan Yorkshire puddings. I do not care what anyone says, they do belong on a Christmas dinner and I LOVE them. 

My mum also put in some Linda McCartney beef wellington bites and some little chorizo sausages as a replacement for pigs in blankets. I tried so hard to find the Morrison’s vegan pigs in blankets, but unfortunately, they were sold out everywhere. I really hope they continue to do them next year, as I would love to try them. 

After dinner, I went to visit some of my extended family and then brought my grandparents back to my house for a few drinks. Of course, I was drinking my vegan Baileys, which I have now decided is going to be a staple for every Christmas. 

It was about 7pm when I got a text from my two closest friends asking to meet for a drink. So, off I went and had a little friendmas in the evening. I never get to see my friends on Christmas, so it was lovely to see them for a couple of hours. 


 I got back to my house at 9pm and was greeted by even more food and drink. I snacked on Pringles, olives, humous, the lot. I decided to turn in at around midnight, as I had a flight to catch the next day. But more on that in my next blog post.

I hope you all had a lovely day and a happy new year!

Love,
Emma xxx 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EATING VEGAN AT... BOOMTOWN FAIR

REVIEW: MEATLESS FARM CO. MEAT FREE MINCE

Eating Vegan In... Amsterdam