REVIEW: BELGRAVE VEGAN FEAST

As soon as I saw the words "Belgrave Music Hall" and "Vegan Feast" on my Facebook timeline, I knew I had to go. 


I walked in on Saturday and immediately I was overwhelmed by the amount of choice there was for food. Obviously, this was not surprising for an event labelled “vegan feast”, but normally we are not so spoiled for choice.


Belgrave is such a cool place to eat, chill and drink, and they have a rooftop bar which is perfect for a summer’s day. Unfortunately, when I went, the weather was not so great, but downstairs is equally as pretty, so I didn’t really mind. I had a little walk around and checked out the stalls and as you can imagine choosing what to eat was very difficult. I knew I could not just buy ONE thing. If my bank account and summer body agreed with me, I would have eaten everything.



I spotted Dough Boys and Patty Smith’s which are residents of Belgrave, but they also had some new stalls including Humpit, Dim Sum SU Street Food, Kanassa, Wanderer Junk Food, Froconut, Black Day Bakes and Steze Cakes.



I decided to start off with a Patty Smith’s burger. From what I remember, they had around five vegan specials, including a fried cauliflower burger, a chickpea burger, a beetroot burger and a jackfruit burger. I had never tried jackfruit before, (losing vegan points here), so I went for the southern fried jackfruit burger, and my friend had the krispy fried cauliflower burger. The burger cost me £5.95, which I thought was an extremely reasonable price considering the size of it.



The jackfruit tasted incredible and reminded me of pulled pork (from what I remember of my meat-eating days). It was served with salad and chipotle mayo on a vegan brioche bun. I would go as far to say as it was the best vegan burger I have ever tasted, I really did not want it to end.

Southern Fried Jackfruit Burger from Patty Smith's
Instagram: emeatsvegan

I also tried my friend’s burger and I can confirm that this was equally as delicious as the jackfruit burger. It really inspired me to try and make my own cauliflower burger, I just wish that this was a permanent option on their menu!

KFC Burger
Instagram: emeatsvegan
After eating my burger, we decided to pop out for an iced coffee and a walk around town. When we left Belgrave at 12:30pm, it was relatively quiet still. However, once we came back at 3pm, it was PACKED.

After sifting through the crowds, we decided to go for a slice of pizza next. I really wanted to try Dim Sum, but something about the pizza was calling my name. They had around six vegan options, all equally as appealing. I decided to go for the TVF slice and my friend had the Cabbage Fever slice.

TVF Pizza Slice
Instagram: emeatsvegan 
Cabbage Fever
Instagram: emeatsvegan
The pizza didn’t come with vegan cheese; however, it really did not need it. The mushrooms were cooking in a creamy sauce and it was topped with garlic mayo, so I did not miss the cheese at all.


I know that Pizza Boys have permanent vegan slices on their menu and usually they offer the first two slices for half price. I can confirm I will definitely be going back to Pizza Boys.


Seeing as I had eaten a burger and a slice of pizza already, I felt too full to get a dessert. Now that I am home and writing this, I deeply regret not buying some cheesecake and taking it home with me, I will learn for next time.



All in all, it was a really nice day and I hope that Belgrave put on more vegan events (preferably in summer!)


Emma xxx 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EATING VEGAN AT... BOOMTOWN FAIR

REVIEW: MEATLESS FARM CO. MEAT FREE MINCE

Eating Vegan In... Amsterdam