MY MUM'S HOMEMADE FIVE BEAN CHILLI

I have recently just finished university for easter, and one of my favourite things about coming home is my mum's cooking. For a meat eater, who has never cooked vegan before I announced I was turning vegan a year and a half ago, she really does make the most amazing vegan meals. It is so nice to have a mum who is so supportive of my veganism and also makes sure the fridge is stocked up with vegan goodies, ready for me to come home during the holidays. So first of all, I would like to thank my mum for her support and her cooking. Second of all, I would like to thank my mum for allowing me to steal her recipe and publish it on my blog, passing it off as my own. You’re the best.

Mum's homemade five bean chilli
Instagram: emeatsvegan
I posted a photograph of my vegan chilli on my Instagram, (emeatsvegan), a couple of days ago and I had a lot of questions about how I (my mum) made this. So rather than replying to my messages individually, I thought I would put it all in a blog post. So here you go, this is my mum's homemade vegan chilli. 

YOU WILL NEED:
(For 2 portions)
1 red onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of hot chilli powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of cumin
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 tin of mixed beans
1 kallo stock cube
1 tsp of marjoram
Salt and pepper (for taste)
A pinch of sugar if needed (sometimes the tinned tomatoes can taste bitter)
70kg rice

METHOD:
First of all, you want to gently fry your onion until it is soft.

Once your onion is cooked, you are going to add your green pepper, your cloves of garlic, hot chilli powder, paprika and cumin to the frying pan and let these cook for around five minutes.

Next, add your tinned tomatoes and your puree. Let these warm through for approximately two minutes, and at this point you are going to want to add your stock.

For your stock, dissolve a kallo cube, (or any vegan stock cube), into around 250ml of boiled water. Stir this together and add to your other ingredients, along with your tin of mixed beans. Let this mixture simmer.

Whilst your mixture is simmering, you can start to boil your rice, (I won’t tell you how to do this).

Finally, add your marjoram, salt and pepper. Taste your mixture and decide if you need any sugar.

Drain your rice and plate up alongside your chilli.

This recipe will make around 2 portions. If you are just cooking for yourself, a great way to make use of leftovers is to heat up your chilli and pour over a baked potato, as pictured below. It tastes incredible! 

Mum's homemade five bean chilli poured over a baked potato
Instagram: emeatsvegan
So there is my mum's five bean chilli. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.


Emma xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EATING VEGAN AT... BOOMTOWN FAIR

REVIEW: MEATLESS FARM CO. MEAT FREE MINCE

Eating Vegan In... Amsterdam