Aubergine Katsu Curry


Instagram: emeatsvegan

Since posting my meals to Instagram, my aubergine katsu curry has been the most requested recipe of them all. I have explained how to make it in brief in the comments section of my katsu posts, (if you follow my Instagram you will know I make this dish a lot), but here is the full recipe for those who are interested. 

You will need:
Half an aubergine
Flour
Water
Breadcrumbs (I use the Paxo golden breadcrumbs, but you can easily make your own)
Olive oil (you can use your preferred oil, but in my opinion olive is the superior choice)
Rice 
Salt and pepper to season
A handful of spinach
For the sauce
Half a can of baked beans
Ground cumin
Curry powder 

Firstly, you will need to preheat your oven to 180°c. Next, its time to prepare the aubergine. Start by cutting your aubergine up into thin slices. I usually use around four slices, which is more than enough for one portion. 

To coat the aubergine, you will need to lay aside two bowls. One bowl should contain your breadcrumbs and the other bowl should contain your flour and water. I have never cooked using measurements, (very annoying I know), but I would guess that I use around two tablespoons of flour and just a splash of tap water. The formula should be a PVA glue type consistency, so not too runny.

The next step is a little messy. Take each slice and first coat it in the flour and water and then coat it in the bread crumbs. Place the slices aside for later. Wash your hands before the next step. 

Once your aubergine slices are coated, you will then need to dash your preferred oil in a pan and shallow fry your aubergine until they are golden brown. Place them on a baking tray, drizzle with oil, salt and black pepper and put them in the oven for 20 minutes. In the mean time, boil your rice.

Whilst your rice is simmering and your aubergine is in the oven, you can now make your sauce. Take your half a can of baked beans, a dash of curry powder and a dash of cumin and pour it into a measuring jug. I use a measuring jug because it is easy for my hand blender to get in to. Blend the ingredients together and keep tasting it, adding more curry powder/cumin if necessary. Place the sauce in the microwave for a minute and a half, stir, then heat up for a further minute. 

Drain your rice and place in your bowl ready for serving. Take the aubergine out of the oven and lay the slices next to the rice and pour the sauce on top. Add a handful of spinach and you are done!

Enjoy, 
Emma
xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EATING VEGAN AT... BOOMTOWN FAIR

REVIEW: MEATLESS FARM CO. MEAT FREE MINCE

Eating Vegan In... Amsterdam